A tvo (Television Ontario) original documentary, TRIPPING The Rideau Canal is a remarkable four-hour journey along Ontario’s magnificent Rideau Canal, one of Ontario’s most pristine boating areas. A UNESCO World Heritage Site, the Rideau is also North America’s oldest continuously operating canal system.
The Rideau story is told in six episodes (see below) where viewers are able to explore the Rideau Canal from every angle.
- 8 Step Ottawa Locks: Take a trip through the 8 locks at the end of the canal system.
- Taming Hogs Back: From the air, learn about this spectacular waterfall.
- Watson’s Mill: See how a 19th century grist mill operates.
- The Rideau Canal: The World’s Largest Skateway: Skate the canal during Winterlude.
- The Ever Adapting Rideau: Learn how the Rideau Canal’s purpose has changed over time.
- Over the Rideau Canal: Enjoy the Rideau from the air travelling from Kingston to Ottawa.
Using an interactive schematic, viewers are able to zero in on specific aspects of the Rideau including towns, locks or scenic adventure. There is even wonderful ‘behind the scenes’ footage, describing how the documentary was made.
Miss boating? We do to.
While waiting to get on-the-water this summer, enjoy this VR tour of the Rideau Canal.